International Biodiversity Day
International Biodiversity Day is celebrated every year on May 22 throughout the world.
The main objective of celebrating International Biodiversity Day is to promote conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity.
- To bring understanding, and awareness among the people about the issues of biodiversity. Also to make people aware of the importance of biodiversity and its unprecedented loss.
- Biodiversity refers to the variety of flora and fauna that make up the ecosystem. It should be noted that conservation of the ecosystem is important for natural balance and human survival.
- On 22 May, during the United Nations General Assembly meeting, it was announced to celebrate International Biodiversity Day.
- This day was chosen because the Agreed Text of the Convention of Biological Diversity (CBD) was adopted by the Nairobi Final Act on 22 May
- Previously, 29 December was designated as International Biodiversity Day but it was considered 22 May only after the adoption of the UN General Assembly resolution.
Source – PIB