Intergovernmental Negotiation Framework
Despite the implementation of the Intergovernmental negotiation framework, the United Nations Security Council has failed to act effectively on the issue of international security and peace.
- India’s permanent representative in the United Nations, T.S.Tirumurti, has said that the Inter-Governmental Dialogue (IGN) Framework has been implemented for nearly 13 years, but even after that, the UNSC is not able to effectively address international security and peace issues.
- The main reason for the UNSC not being able to function effectively is the lack of inclusivity in it.
Intergovernmental Negotiations Framework
- The Intergovernmental negotiations framework is a group of nations working under the United Nations to improve the United Nations Security Council.
- It discusses various aspects of reform in UNSC, including categories of membership of this council, issue of veto, representation of various geographical areas, size of council, etc.
- It is formed by different international organizations, including the G-4 nations (India, Brazil, Japan and Germany).These countries support each other for a seat in the UNSC.
Source – The Hindu