Integrated Clean Energy Material Acceleration Platform to accelerate clean energy
Recently, Mission Innovation has launched Integrated Bio-refinery Mission (IBM) to accelerate clean energy solutions through public-private alliances.
- Mission Innovation is a global initiative. It aims to promote action and investment in research, development and demonstration to make clean energy affordable, attractive and accessible this decade.
- The initiative involves 22 countries and the European Union. India is a founding member of this initiative.
- The first phase of this mission was launched in the year 2015 with the Paris Agreement. Its second phase was started in the year 2021.
Integrated Bio-Refinery Mission (IBM):
- The mission aims to replace 10% of fossil-based fuels, chemicals and substances with bio-based alternatives by 2030.
- This is the sixth mission launched by Mission Innovation.
The following are its 5 other missions:
- Clean Hydrogen,
- Green Powered Future,
- Zero-emission shipping,
- Carbon Dioxide Removal,
- Urban Transitions
Objectives of the Integrated Bio-refinery Mission:
- Support the development and commercialization of bio-refineries to make new and emerging technologies risk-free, and improve cost competitiveness through international collaboration.
- Mission Innovation has also announced a funding opportunity for the Sustainable Aviation Fuels and Hydrogen Valley platform, as another initiative.
National Funding Opportunity on Sustainable Aviation Fuels:
It aims to support research, development and demonstration to promote technological innovations in advanced biofuels for aviation uses.
Hydrogen Valley Platform: It is a joint initiative of Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Joint Undertaking and Mission Innovation. It is a global initiative to optimize the demand and supply of hydrogen. For this, it emphasizes on onsite production and use. At the same time, it also emphasizes on using renewable resources effectively and water stressed areas while maintaining geographical identity.
Source- The Hindu