INS Vindhyagiri Launched
Recently President Draupadi Murmu has launched Nilgiri class warship ‘INS Vindhyagiri’. On this occasion Vindhyagiri has been immersed in the Hooghly river.
INS Vindhyagiri has been constructed under Project 17A (Alpha), and is built by the Indian Navy at Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE), Kolkata.
INS Vindhyagiri is the sixth ship of the Project 17A programme.
The launch of Vindhyagiri is another milestone in the shipyard’s illustrious journey, reflecting its commitment to building quality warships.
- The Project 17A frigates are a successor to the Project 17 (Shivalik class) frigates, with improved stealth features, advanced weapons, sensors and platform management systems.
- Seven Project 17A frigates are under various stages of construction at MDL and GRSE.
- The design of the Advanced Stealth Frigates also showcases the Warship Design Bureau’s prowess in designing technologically advanced warships for the Indian Navy.
- In keeping with the government’s vision of ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’, more than 75 per cent of Project 17A orders have been awarded to indigenous firms including MSMEs.
- The Project 17A ships have been designed in-house by the Indian Navy’s Warship Design Bureau, the lead organization for all warship design activities.
Source – PIB