Information Fusion Center – Indian Ocean Region (IFC-IOR)
The United Kingdom has recently appointed a Liaison Officer (LO) in the Information Fusion Center for Indian Ocean Region (IFC-IOR) of the Indian Navy.
It may be noted that ‘IFC-IOR’ provides information on matters related to Maritime Domain Awareness (MDA).
What is IFC-IOR?
- In the year 2018, the ‘Information Fusion Centre-Indian Ocean Region’ was set up to coordinate with the countries located in the Indian Ocean region on maritime issues and to act as a regional repository of maritime data.
- Currently, IFC-IOR has established relationships with 21 partner countries and 22 multi-national agencies around the world.
- The ‘Information Fusion Centre-Indian Ocean Region’ is located in Gurugram in the state of Haryana in India.
Role and Functions of Liaison Officer- LO:
- The LO will be stationed full time at the ‘Information Fusion Centre’, and will work directly with ‘Liaison Officers’ of the Indian Armed Forces and other allied countries to increase ‘Maritime Domain Awareness’ (MDA) in the Indian Ocean region.
- India has invited ‘International Liaison Officers’ (ILO) from 13 countries to work on the ‘Information Fusion Centre’. The ‘Liaison Officers’ of Australia, France, Japan and the US are already working for the IFC-IOR, with the UK now the fifth country to join the ‘Information Fusion Centre’.
Source – The Hindu