India’s SDG preparedness ranking continues to decline
According to a report, India’s Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) preparedness ranking continues to decline.
India is ranked 121 out of 163 countries in the Sustainable Development Report (SDR), 2022. This report is published by a group of independent experts from the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN).
The SDR measures the position of each country in achieving the SDGs. SDR was formerly called SDG Index and Dashboard.
- For the second year in a row, the world is not making progress towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
- According to the International Spillover Index, 2022, affluent countries are generating negative international spillovers, especially through unsustainable consumption.
- The spillover effect refers to the effect of unrelated events occurring in another country on the economy of one country.
- According to the report, the fundamental conditions before the world for progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals in 2030 and beyond are: peace, diplomacy and international cooperation.
- India’s ranking has declined for the third consecutive year. India was ranked 117th in the year 2020 and 120th in the year 2021. This year it is at 121st position.
- India has achieved two SDG targets (SDG 12 and 13).
- Challenges remain in the case of a target (SDG 4).
- Significant challenges remain in the 3 goals (SDG 1, 7 and 10).
- Out of the total 17 SDGs, 11 goals (SDG-2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 14, 15, 16 and 17) remain a major challenge to achieve.
Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN)
It was launched in 2012 by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
- To mobilize global scientific and technical expertise, to promote practical problem solving for sustainable development and implementation of SDGs.
- SDSN works closely with United Nations agencies, multilateral funding institutions, the private sector and civil society.
- In the year 2019, SDSN published the Six Transformations Framework. It is an innovative framework to mobilize transformational efforts towards the realization of the SDGs.
Source – The Hindu