Two more Indian beaches get ‘Blue Flag’
Recently two more Indian beaches have been included in the list of ‘Blue Beach’.
Two more beaches of India have received the globally recognized international eco-label ‘Blue Flag’ certificate. These two beaches are Minicoy Dhundi Beach and Kadmat Beach. Both of them are located in Lakshadweep.
With this, the number of beaches with Blue Flag certification in India has gone up to 12.
Blue Flag Tag or Blue Flag Certification-
- This certification is provided by the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE), a Denmark-based non-profit organization.
- Blue Flag aims to promote sustainability in the tourism sector through environmental education, environmental protection and other sustainable development measures.
- This certification is awarded to operators of boating activities such as beaches, beaches ready for recreational activities and sustainable tourism.
- Blue Flag certification is achieved only after meeting and maintaining stringent environmental, educational, safety and accessibility standards.
Blue Flag certification is given on the basis of these four –
- Environmental education and information;
- Water quality;
- Environmental stewardship; And
- Security and Services.
Source – The Hindu