Recently India-Africa Defense Dialogue (IADD) has been organized.
The theme of the India-Africa Defense Dialogue (IADD) Dialogue was: “Adopting Strategy for Synergizing and Strengthening Defense and Security Cooperation.
The ‘Gandhinagar Declaration’ was adopted during the dialogue.
Proposals in this Declaration:
- Cooperation in training will be promoted in all areas of mutual interest. This will be done by increasing the training slots and deploying training teams. Africa’s defense forces will be empowered and capacity-building.
- Participation in military exercises will be increased.
- Humanitarian assistance will be provided during natural calamities.
India-Africa Defense Relations
The foundation of India-Africa defense relations is based on the following two guiding principles:
- SAGAR – Security and development for all in the region.
- Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam – The whole world is one family.
India and Africa have established military academies in Ethiopia and Nigeria.
In addition, the two countries have strengthened their ties through the training of military personnel and participation in UN peacekeeping operations.
More attention is currently being paid to non-traditional security areas. These include terrorism, piracy and climate change. These areas are common concerns of both sides.
The first India-Africa Defense Ministers’ Conference was held in the year 2020. Later, IADD was institutionalized through successive Defense Expo events. Now IADD will be conducted once in every two years.
Source – The Hindu