Importance of Artificial Intelligence (AI) for Indian Judicial Processes
The government has stressed the need to adopt new and cutting-edge technologies like Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) in the judiciary. These will help in increasing the efficiency of the justice delivery system.
Its potential benefits:
- Challenges exist regarding access to freely available data relating to decisions in the Indian judiciary. These challenges can be overcome by them.
- These can improve access to justice through process re-engineering and automation. Also, the judicial process can also be expedited.
- Better decision making can be done through tools like intelligent legal analysis and research.
- There will be an opportunity to learn from the best practices related to these globally. For example, in the United Kingdom a system of predicting repeat offenders has been developed.
- Fundamental rules should be made for such technologies.
- Stakeholders should be identified and their participation ensured.
- Partnerships should be fostered to assist in the development of such technologies.
Measures taken so far:
- SUYAS (Supreme Court Legal Translation Software): It is a language learning application. It is used to translate decisions given in English into regional language.
- SUPACE (Supreme Court Portal for Assistance in Court Efficiency): It helps to improve efficiency and reduce pendency. It identifies judicial processes that can be automated through artificial intelligence.
- SCI-Interact: This is software developed by the Supreme Court. It makes all 17 benches paperless by providing access to files, annexures of petitions, etc. to judges.
Source – The Hindu