If you are planning to appear for the UPSC exam, choosing an optional subject can be a challenging task. The optional subject carries a significant weightage in the final marks, and hence it is crucial to make an informed decision. In this article, we will guide you through the process of how to choose an optional subject for UPSC.
UPSC or Union Public Service Commission is one of the most prestigious examinations in India. The exam is conducted in three stages, namely, Preliminary, Mains, and Interview. The optional subject in the Mains exam carries a weightage of 500 marks. Hence, selecting the right optional subject is essential for scoring well in the exam.
Choosing an optional subject can be a daunting task, especially when there are 26 subjects to choose from. This article will provide you with some tips and tricks that will help you make an informed decision.
How to Choose Optional Subject for UPSC
Choosing the right optional subject for UPSC requires careful consideration of several factors. Here are some of the essential things that you should keep in mind while selecting an optional subject :
- Interest – The first and foremost thing to consider while choosing an optional subject is your interest. Choose a subject that you are passionate about and have a keen interest in. This will help you stay motivated throughout your preparation.
- Background – It is also essential to consider your background while selecting an optional subject. Choose a subject that you have studied in your graduation or have some prior knowledge about. This will help you understand the subject better and save a lot of time in preparation.
- Availability of Study Material – Before finalizing your optional subject, make sure to check the availability of study material. Choose a subject that has a vast collection of study material, both online and offline. This will help you prepare for the exam more effectively.
- Scoring Potential – Another crucial factor to consider while selecting an optional subject is its scoring potential. Some subjects have a higher scoring potential than others. Choose a subject that has a good track record of scoring well in the exam.
- Coaching Availability – Coaching can play a vital role in your preparation for the UPSC exam. Before finalizing your optional subject, make sure to check the availability of coaching for the subject. Choose a subject that has good coaching availability in your area.
- Time Management – Time management is crucial while preparing for the UPSC exam. Choose a subject that you can complete within the given time frame. It is essential to balance your optional subject preparation with the other subjects as well.
Other Factors to Consider
Apart from the above factors, there are some other things that you should keep in mind while choosing an optional subject. These include:
- Subject Syllabus
- Previous Years Question Papers
- Subject Experts Availability
- Exam Pattern
- Personal Factors
Choosing the right optional subject is a crucial decision that can significantly impact your UPSC exam results. It is essential to consider several factors, including your interest, background, study material availability, scoring potential, coaching availability, and time management. You should also keep in mind other factors like subject syllabus, exam pattern, previous years question papers, and personal factors before making a final decision.
By following the tips and tricks mentioned in this article, you can make an informed decision while selecting an optional subject for the UPSC exam. With the right preparation and hard work, you can ace the exam and achieve your dream of becoming a civil servant.
Remember, the key to success is choosing the right optional subject and preparing for it diligently.
Best of Luck for Your Exam from Youth Destination IAS
Here are some frequently asked questions about choosing an optional subject for UPSC :
1. Can I choose a subject that I have not studied in my graduation?
Yes, you can choose a subject that you have not studied in your graduation. However, it is advisable to choose a subject that you have some prior knowledge about.
2. Can I change my optional subject after filling the application form?
No, you cannot change your optional subject after filling the application form. Hence, it is essential to make an informed decision before filling the form.
3. How many optional subjects can I choose for the UPSC exam?
You can choose only one optional subject for the UPSC exam.
4. How much weightage does the optional subject carry in the UPSC exam?
The optional subject carries a weightage of 500 marks in the UPSC exam.
5. Is coaching necessary for the optional subject?
Coaching is not mandatory for the optional subject. However, it can help you prepare for the exam more effectively.
6. What is the best way to prepare for the optional subject?
The best way to prepare for the optional subject is by studying the subject material thoroughly, practicing previous year’s question papers, and revising the subject regularly.
Click here to Contact Us | Download Our App | Current Affairs For UPSC