HakkiPikki Tribe of Karnataka
Recently, it was observed that some people of the HakkiPikki tribe in Karnataka survived the COVID-19 outbreak. Because of which this tribe has become the subject of discussion.
- The HakkiPikki tribes are semi-nomadic tribal people, the tribe consists of four dynasties – Gujarati, Kaliwala, Mewada, and Panwara.
- They speak many South Indian languages, such as Kannada, Tamil, Telugu, and Malayalam as well as Vagribuli, which is similar to Gujarati.
- It is a Scheduled Tribe of Karnataka. ‘HakkiPikki’ means “bird catcher” in Kannada.
Origin and History:
- Hakipikki tribal communities have a rich history. They are also claimed to have a paternal relationship with Maharana Pratap Singh.
- The HakkiPikki is a Kshatriya or warrior tribal community who had to migrate to South India after being defeated by the Mughals.
Source – The Hindu