Govt finalizes 50 DPRs to push port connectivity projects
Recently the Government has finalized 50 Detailed Project Reports to take forward port connectivity projects.
Port connectivity projects are road projects that provide access to existing highways. These projects take the road network to the ports. Thus, they facilitate the movement of goods.
As part of the Pradhan Mantri Gati Shakti Yojana, top priority has been given to port connectivity projects. They have been given priority in view of their importance in facilitating trade and promoting multi-modal transport.
Be aware that the coastline of India extends to 7,516.6 km. There are 14 major ports and 205 notified small and medium-sized ports in India.
Gati Shakti includes several infrastructure schemes of different ministries and state governments. Among these, Bharatmala, Sagarmala, inland waterways, dry / land ports, flight etc. are prominent.
Enhancement of port connectivity is a component under the ‘Sagarmala Project’. Bharatmala is a comprehensive program to increase road connectivity across the country.
Importance of projects–
- Cargo production centers are mainly in the hinterland rather than the coastal area. Therefore, connectivity to ports is important.
- Cargo clearance from port areas will be expedited.
- This will help in decongesting the cargo at the port.
- These will promote the development of the maritime sector (Blue Economy).
- These will facilitate ease of doing business and support multi-modal transportation.
Source – The Hindu