Golden Jubilee Celebrations of North Eastern Council (NEC) at Shillong, Meghalaya
- Recently the Prime Minister has participated in the Golden Jubilee celebrations of the North Eastern Council (NEC) in Shillong, Meghalaya.
- On completion of 50 years of the North Eastern Council, the Prime Minister stressed on working on 8 pillars for the development of the North East.
These pillars are-
- Peace, Power, Tourism, 5G connectivity, Culture, (2) Natural Agriculture, Sports and Capacity Building.
- Along with this, the Prime Minister inaugurated the ‘Griha Pravesh’ program for more than two lakh beneficiaries under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban and Rural) in Tripura.
Other Initiatives taken for the development of North Eastern Region
- ‘Act Fast for North-East’ and ‘Act First for North-East’ policies have been announced.
- Prime Minister’s Development Initiative for the Northeast (PM-DevINE) has been announced. With this initiative, progress will be achieved in sectors such as infrastructure creation, employment generation etc.
- The country’s longest Dhola-Sadiya bridge has been constructed over the Lohit river in Assam.
- The India-Myanmar-Thailand Trilateral Highway and the Agartala-Akhaura Rail Project have been constructed.
North Eastern Council (NEC) :
- The North Eastern Council (NEC) was established in the year 1972. It was established as the nodal agency for the economic and social development of the North Eastern Region (NER).
- It functions under the administrative control of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region. The Union Home Minister is the ex-officio chairman of the NEC.
- The North Eastern Council (NEC) has led to a 74% reduction in violent incidents from extremist groups in the last eight years.
Source – PIB