GOI launches roadmap to make Urban India ‘ Garbage Free ‘
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has released the roadmap to make Urban India ‘ Garbage Free ‘.
- MoHUA launched the Star Rating Protocol-Toolkit 2022 of Garbage Free Cities (GFCs). It is an important governance tool for waste management.
- The toolkit is aligned with the priorities of the Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban 2.0. In this, higher weightage has been allocated for door-to-door waste collection, segregation at source, waste processing and dump site treatment.
- SBM 2.0 was launched with a holistic view of creating a GFC.
- A seven star rating protocol has been defined for the GFC. It is based on the aspirations of cities to move towards higher standards of cleanliness.
- The toolkit was considered necessary to modify the existing GFC protocol and simplify the evaluation process, so that every urban local body would be motivated to apply for GFC certification.
- Possessing at least 1-star certification by urban local bodies has been made a necessary condition for receiving government funds from both the SAM-U 2.0 and the 15th Finance Commission.
Source – The Hindu