Geospatial Strategy for National Development Report
- Recently the Geospatial Strategy for National Development report has been unveiled at the Geosmart India 2022 conference.
- This report has been prepared by Geospatial World. It highlights the opportunities and challenges associated with the Indian geospatial industry.
- All those techniques are called geospatial technology, which are used to obtain, manipulate and store geographic information.
- Examples of such technologies are- GIS, GPS, Remote Sensing, Geofencing etc.
Key Findings of the Report
- The Geospatial market is estimated to be Rs 37.16 thousand crore by the year 2025. The market will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.35% between 2022 and 2025.
- The global navigation satellite system and positioning market share will be around 59 percent in the year 2022.
- Sectors such as defense and intelligence, urban development, agriculture and land administration will give impetus to the development of this region.
- The Guidelines for Geospatial Data 2021 and Drone Rules, 2021 have democratized and liberalized access to geospatial data and information.
Major Challenges: Delay in setting up modern and accurate Geodetic and Terrestrial Positioning Augmentation infrastructure is hampering the development of this sector.
- There is lack of data collection and analysis on real-time basis.
- Geospatial standards are not being implemented effectively.
- There is a lack of co-operation between different stakeholders.
Suggestion: Geospatial Industrial Development Board and Fund should be set up.
- Participation of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and local manufacturing capabilities should be increased.
- Flexible Positioning, Navigation and Timing (PNT) infrastructure should be developed.
- Geo-spatial incubation centers should be set up. In addition, long term agreements on R&D should be promoted.
Source – The Hindu