Fresh Geomagnetic Storm Warning Issued,
The radio blackout may be due to a geomagnetic storm emanating from the Sun hitting the Earth.
Recently, the Space Weather Prediction Center (SPWC) under the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has issued warnings related to two geomagnetic storms.
When a coronal mass ejection (CME) hits the Earth, it causes a geomagnetic storm. A geomagnetic storm is a type of disturbance in the Earth’s magnetosphere. The magnetic circle is a region around the Earth. It is controlled by the Earth’s magnetic field.
The Earth’s magnetic field shields the Earth from most of the particles emitted by the Sun.
This is due to the large-scale exchange of energy in the space region around the Earth through the solar winds.
Geomagnetic storms are classified into G1 and G5. G5 is the strongest storm ever.
Impact of geomagnetic storm-
- It obstructs high-frequency radio transmissions and Global Positioning System (GPS) equipment.
- This damages the electronics of the satellites. Also, astronauts and pilots flying at high altitudes are exposed to radiation.
- The voltage rises due to the change in magnetic activity. This can affect the power supply to the earth. In addition, the power supply may also be cut.
- Coronal mass ejection (CME) is the massive ejection of plasma and magnetic fields from the Sun’s corona.
- Plasma is the highly ionized gas present on the Sun, while the corona is the outermost part of the Sun’s atmosphere.
Source – The Hindu