Foundation Stone of C-295 Aircraft Facility
Recently the Prime Minister has laid the foundation stone of the C-295 transport aircraft manufacturing plant in Vadodara, Gujarat.
The C-295 aircraft will be used by the Indian Air Force. It is being manufactured by the Tata-Airbus consortium. This is the first project of its kind. In this, a private company is manufacturing a military aircraft in India.
It is also the first time that the C-295 aircraft will be manufactured outside Europe.
- It is a transport aircraft with a capacity of 5 to 10 It can be used for quick action and para-dropping of troops and cargo.
- It will replace the old Avro-748 aircraft of the Indian Air Force. These aircraft were inducted into the Air Force in the early 1960 The Prime Minister underlined that this aircraft manufacturing plant is a major step towards becoming self-reliant in the aviation sector.
Other Initiatives to Boost Aviation Sector: The National Civil Aviation Policy, 2016 has been announced.
- Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik (UDAN) Scheme: To provide connectivity to un-served and underserved airports by revamping existing unused airstrips and airports.
- Recently, the Airports Authority of India has given eight of its airports on long-term lease. These airports are leased through Public-Private Partnership (PPP) for operation, management and development.
- The Ministry of Civil Aviation has announced leasing of land through open tenders for maintenance, repair and restoration services.
Civil Aviation Sector in India:
- India’s aviation sector has become the third largest domestic aviation market in the world.
- It is expected that India will be able to handle 1 billion trips annually by the year 2023 through the capacity of its airports.
- The Indian aviation industry is dominated by private airlines. These include low cost air carriers. This has made air travel affordable.
Source – The Hindu