First Global Buddhist Summit 2023
Recently the Global Buddhist Summit, 2023 has ended with the “New Delhi Declaration”.
- The summit was organized by the Ministry of Culture in collaboration with the International Buddhist Confederation, Delhi.
- The purpose of the conference was to bring together Buddhist scholars, leaders of confederations and Buddhists from around the world on a single platform to deliberate on matters of universal concern to Buddhism.
Key features of the New Delhi Declaration:
- In the present global scenario, the scriptures, principles and philosophy of Buddhism are the best guiding tools to ensure dialogue, harmony and universal peace among different religious faiths.
- Recognize the importance of Buddhist pilgrimage as a living heritage.
- The summit underlined the growing role of Buddhism in India’s soft power strategy.
- Significantly, under soft power strategy, using persuasion and attraction, changes in the behavior of others are brought about without competition or conflict.
Other Initiatives towards Buddhist Diplomacy:
- The Prime Minister has been making Buddhism a regular part of his diplomatic visits and has also been emphasizing the shared Buddhist heritage.
- The presence of the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan government-in-exile in Dharamsala has strengthened India’s image among the global Buddhist community.
- India has hosted Buddhist pilgrims from South Korea.
- Special Buddhist tourist circuits have been created crossing international boundaries.
- Nalanda University has been renovated, etc.
Importance of promoting Buddhist diplomacy –
- Buddhism has a presence in all Asian countries, and plays an important role in establishing national identity in the region.
- The goals of “Neighbourhood First” and “Act East” policy can be achieved by establishing deeper ties with Asian countries on the basis of Buddhism.
Source – PIB