First BRICS Employment Working Group Meeting
First BRICS Employment Working Group meeting
- Recently, the first BRICS Employment Working Group meeting organized by India has been organized. It should be noted that India assumed the post of BRICS President in 2021.
Key facts of the meeting
- All BRICS member states discussed key issues such as promoting social security agreements among BRICS nations, women’s participation in the labor force, formalization of labor markets.
- It is to be noted that all the BRICS countries were also members of the International Labor Organization and the International Social Security Agency.
Social Security Agreement
- During this meeting, member countries agreed to negotiate among themselves to resolve the matter of the Social Security Agreement.
- And if they reach a conclusion, all countries will take it forward to sign the agreements. The International Labor Organization and the International Social Security Agency will provide technical support for this. During the meeting, member countries agreed to create a multilateral framework for this.
Formalization of Labor Market
- While discussing how the COVID-19 pandemic has given informaliz the labor market, countries have also given many solutions to deal with this epidemic.
Women in Labour Market
- The participation of women in the labor force was also discussed in the meeting. All BRICS countries have agreed to promote women in productive and honorable tasks. Also, all countries agreed to provide social security cover to women workers in the informal sector.
What is Social Security Agreement?
- It is an agreement by a country to regulate the process of providing social security for its citizens, who reside permanently or temporarily in another country.
Which countries of India have social security agreement-
- India has till now entered into social security agreements with the following countries South Korea, Switzerland, Sweden, Portugal, Norway, Netherlands, Japan, Hungary, Germany, France, Finland, Denmark, Czech Republic, Canada, Belgium, Austria, Australia.
- In the year 2018, India signed a social security agreement with Brazil. India has not signed social security agreement with America.
Source – Indian Express