Film Industry Must Implement POSH Act.
Recently the Kerala High Court has said that the film industry should also implement the “POSH Act”.
- The Kerala High Court has asked film industry organizations to take steps to set up a joint committee to deal with cases of sexual harassment of women. Such measures should be in line with the “Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013”.
- It is also commonly known as POSH Act. This law was passed virtually to prevent, prohibit and deal with acts of sexual harassment against women at the workplace. It was also passed with the aim of making workplaces safe for women.
Salient features of this law:
- It seeks to protect women from sexual harassment at their workplace.
- The law defines sexual harassment at workplace, and provides a mechanism for redressal of complaints.
- In this, the definition of “victim women” is very broad. It covers all women and has been provided protection. It does not take into account the age or employment status of women. Employed in organized/unorganized sectors, public or all women engaged in private employment and including clients, or domestic workers, are covered and protected.
- According to this law, it is mandatory for every private or public organization with 10 or more employees to constitute an Internal Complaints Committee (ICC).
- The ICC has been given the powers of a civil court to issue summons, search operations, production of documents, etc.
These guidelines were framed by the Supreme Court in Vishakha and Ors. vs State of Rajasthan (1997).
This made it imperative for private or public sector organizations to set up a mechanism for redressal of complaints of sexual harassment. These guidelines are legally binding. These define sexual harassment.
Under these, three major responsibilities have been imposed on the institutions-
- Prevention, and
In this case, the Supreme Court had directed that institutions would have to constitute a complaints committee, which would look into cases of sexual harassment of women at workplace.
The POSH Act of 2013 has further expanded these guidelines.
Source – The Hindu