Divyangta Khel Kendras
Recently the Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment has announced to set up 5 ‘Divyang Khel Kendras’ in different parts of the country.
It should be noted that in view of the interest of ‘Divyangjan’ towards sports in the country and India’s best performance in Paralympics, the decision related to setting up of ‘Divyang Sports Center’ is highly commendable.
- The primary objective of such efforts is to empower the differently-abled, and to connect them with the main stream of the society for the overall development of the country.
- Through the ‘Divyang Khel Kendras’, persons with disabilities will be trained on the basis of international standards in sports, which will further improve India’s position in the Paralympic Games.
- At present, various programs and initiatives have been started by the Government of India for the empowerment of persons with disabilities, in which ‘Sugamya Bharat Ahiyan’ is the most prominent.
- Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan is a nationwide campaign of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, under which at present 709 railway stations and 10,175 bus depots have been covered.
- The objective of this campaign is to create a barrier free and pleasant/friendly environment for Divyangjan across the country. Along with this, in the year 2016, the government passed the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, which has not only provided more protection to Divyangjan, but it also ensures the fundamental rights of persons with disabilities across the country.
Source – The Hindu