DHRUVMK-III : Advanced Light Helicopter joins Indian Navy
Recently, the first ‘DHRUVMK-III’ aircraft of the ‘Advanced Light Helicopter’ (ALH) series manufactured by India in the Indian Navy’s 323rd Air Squadron was included in the Indian Navy’s fleet.
- The indigenously designed and developed advanced light helicopter ‘DHRUV’ weighs 5tones. This is an important step for the self-reliant India campaign.
- It is a new generation helicopter with multi-mission in such a low weight class. It is manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
- HAL is an aerospace and defense company governed under the management of the Indian Ministry of Defense. It is headquartered in Bangalore.
- In 1984, HAL started manufacturing advanced light helicopters, under which models MK-I, MK-II, MK-III and MK-IV are manufactured under the DHRUVseries.
- DHRUVMK-III is one step ahead of the aircraft MK-1 in automatic flight control system. It will also be able to carry out search and rescue operations during the night.
- It has a 7 mm gun. It uses glass cockpit which will be used for search and rescue, special operations and coastal surveillance.
Source – PIB