Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) Develops COVID-19 Antibody Detection Kit
Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) develops COVID-19 antibody detection kit
- Recently a COVID-19 antibody detection kit has been developed by the Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences (DIPAS). It is named Dipcovan.
- The Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences (DIPAS) is a laboratory functioning under the Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO).
- The Dipcovan kit can test both the sputum of the COVID-19 virus as well as the nucleocapsid (S&N) protein, with 97% sensitivity and 99% This kit can be used for 18 months.
- It has been developed in collaboration with a company called Vanguard Diagnostics Pvt. Ltd based in New Delhi.
- This kit was approved by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) in April
- Antibodies are protective proteins produced by the immune system in response to the presence of an external substance, that is, antigen. To get the antigens out of the body, antibodies identify them and attack them. The antibody is also called immunoglobulin.