Recently, the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate has notified Deepor Beel Wildlife Sanctuary, located on the south-western edge of Guwahati, as an eco-sensitive zone.
- DeeporBeel is a fresh water lake where its area is continuously decreasing due to encroachment.
- DeeporBeel is a Ramsar site in Assam which is famous as an important bird site.
Ecologically Sensitive Areas:
- The notified area up to 10 km around the protected area is known as Eco-sensitive Zone. Ecological sensitive areas are declared under the Environment Protection Act 1986.
- The purpose of declaring Eco-Sensitive Areas is to regulate the activities around the protected areas and reduce the potential risk. Ecologically sensitive area acts as a ‘shock absorber’ in the protected area.
- Species like Siberian Crane, Spot Billed Pelican Bird, Asian Elephant, Wild Cat, Sambhar etc. are found in Deepor Beel.
Source – The Hindu