Creative Cities Network – UNESCO
Recently Srinagar has been included in the UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) under the Crafts and Folk-Art category.
- Srinagar is famous for various decorative and famous arts and crafts like paper making, Kashmiri shawls, Kashmiri silk, wood work, Kashmiri carpets, silverware etc. Sri Nagar is situated in the heart of Kashmir Valley on the banks of river Jhelum.
- It is important to note that by joining this network, cities are committed to sharing their best practices and developing partnerships. These cities involve the public and private sectors as well as civil society to strengthen the mechanisms of creation, production, distribution and dissemination of cultural activities, goods and services.
Other cities in India that are included in UCCN:
- Jaipur (Crafts and Folk Art).
- Varanasi and Chennai (musical art).
- Mumbai (film).
- Hyderabad (Culinary Arts).
UCCN was created in 2004 to encourage collaboration with and between cities that have underscored creativity as a strategic factor for sustainable urban development.
These cities work together towards a common purpose:
- Putting creativity and cultural industries at the center of our development plans at the local level, and actively collaborating at the international level, etc.
- UNESCO is an organization responsible for coordinating international cooperation in education, science, culture and communication.
- It was established in the year It is located in Paris.
Source- The Hindu