Commission for Air Quality Management (CAQM)
The Commission for Air Quality Management (CAQM) recently has asked, the national capital region (NCR) to adopt a standard list of approved fuels that can be used for various purposes.
The standard list includes petrol, diesel, hydrogen/methane, natural gas, LPG, electricity etc.
CAQM is a statutory body established in the year 2020. It works for air quality management in NCR and its surrounding areas.
Functions of the Commission:
- Co-ordinating actions taken under the Ordinance by concerned state governments (Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan, and Uttar Pradesh),
- Planning and executing plans to prevent and control air pollution in the NCR,
- Providing a framework for identification of air pollutants,
- Conducting research and development through networking with technical institutions,
- Training and creating a special workforce to deal with issues related to air pollution, and
- Preparing various action plans such as increasing plantation and addressing stubble burning.
Source – The Hindu