Centre to Push Milk, Cattle Productivity in Untapped Districts
Recently the Animal Husbandry and Dairying Department has organized an awareness program called ‘Pashudhan Jagruti Abhiyan’. It has been organized under the inclusive development campaign.
The program is designed to help farmers gain a better understanding of the latest practices and techniques in animal husbandry and dairy farming. This will improve the livelihood of the farmers.
It aims to bring about an effective change in 112 least developed districts across the country by organizing around 16,000 village level camps.
Two animal health camps will be organized in all the aspirational districts. 100 farmers will be able to participate in each health camp.
Status of Dairy Sector in India:
- India ranks first in milk production in the world and the largest bovine population in the world is also in India.
- India’s share in global milk production is about 23%. India had produced 221.1 million tonnes of milk in 2021-22.
- Dairy is the largest agriculture allied sector contributing 5% to the national economy. In addition, this sector provides direct employment to about 80 million dairy farmers.
- The top 5 milk producing states are: Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh.
Initiatives launched for dairy sector –
- Dairy Processing and Infrastructure Development Fund – has been started to promote milk processing and meat processing.
- National Dairy Development Program – has been launched to strengthen dairy infrastructure for procurement of milk products. Kisan Credit Card – This will now be provided to cattle rearers also.
Source – Hindustan Times