Cabinet approves MoU between India and Maldives on cooperation in the field of sustainable urban development
The Union Cabinet of the Government of India has approved a Memorandum of Understanding between India and Maldives on ‘Cooperation in the Field of Sustainable Urban Development’.
This agreement has been signed between the ‘Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs’ of the Government of India and the ‘Ministry of National Planning, Housing and Infrastructure’ of the Government of Maldives for cooperation in the field of sustainable urban development.
As per the agreement, a Joint Working Group (JWG) will be set up to strategize and implement programs for cooperation.
- The agreement will give the two countries a boost to “strong, deep and long-term bilateral cooperation in the field of sustainable urban development”.
- The MoU will also generate employment in the areas of sustainable urban development including urban planning, smart city development, solid waste management, affordable housing, urban green mobility, and urban mass rapid transport.
- India and Maldives have had ethnic, linguistic, cultural, and religious and trade ties since historical times. At present, India has given Maldives a prominent place in its ‘Neighborhood First Policy’ and ‘Security and Growth for All in the Region (SAGAR)’ policies
- It is to be known that a few days ago, the Union Cabinet of the Government of India has approved the opening of a new Consulate of India in the city of ‘Addu’ city in Maldives.
- The opening of the new consulate in the Addu city will further enhance India’s diplomatic presence in Maldives and strengthen the existing ties and aspirations.
- It is noteworthy that at this time the bilateral relations of India and Maldives are attaining unexpectedly new dimensions and heights.
Neighborhood first policy
- Under the ‘Neighborhood first policy’, India gives priority to its neighboring countries.
- Under this policy, India focuses on promoting the ‘development of border areas, better connectivity and cultural development of the region and people-to-people contacts’ of neighboring countries.
- The ‘Neighborhood First Policy’ has been further strengthened by India’s ensuring the supply of corona vaccine to neighbors during the recent COVID pan It may be noted that India had sent the first consignment of the vaccine to Bhutan and Maldives as part of its COVID-19 vaccine diplomacy.
Maldives is an island country located in the Indian Ocean, its capital is Male. Many coral islands are found here, so this country is environmentally sensitive. Maldives is the smallest country in Asia both in terms of population and area.