Birth Centenary of ‘Satyajit Ray’ Celebration
The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India has recently said that the birth centenary of legendary filmmaker Satyajit Ray will be celebrated throughout the year.
- The purpose of the centenary celebrations organized by the government is to pay tribute to the legendary filmmaker Satyajit Ray.
- In addition, the Directorate of Film Festivals, Film Division and Ministry of External Affairs of the Government of India will organize the Satyajit Ray Film Festival in India.
- Under this, films of Satyajit Ray and films and documentaries made on them will be shown. An Implementation Committee has also been constituted by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India, to monitor the events occurring throughout the year.
- This great man of Indian cinema was born on 2nd May 1921. Satyajit Ray’s main contribution is to make Indian cinema famous on the international stage.
- Satyajit Ray was a noted filmmaker, writer, painter, graphic designer and composer. His first film was ‘PatherPanchali’. This film brought him international fame.
- He was awarded the highest civilian honor ‘Bharat Ratna’ by the Government of India in the year
- Satyajit Ray Lifetime Achievement Award for outstanding contribution to Indian cinema is also being started in memory of him from this year itself.
- These awards will be given every year at the International Film Festival of India (IFFI).
- Under this, a cash prize of Rs. 10 lakh, a certificate, a shawl, a silver peacock medal and a scroll will be given.
- He was named among the three all-time directors in the world at the Berlin Film Festival due to his unmatched direction and incomparable contribution to cinema.
- Satyajit Ray has also received the prestigious Honorary Award for Lifetime Achievement of Oscar Award. Satyajit Ray’s last film was Angantuk in He died on 23 April 1992.
Source – PIB