Recently the Best Tourism Village (BTV) has been announced by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO).
- BTV is a global initiative to identify villages where tourism preserves cultures and traditions, preserves diversity, provides opportunities, and preserves biodiversity.
- It aims to help enhance rural tourism potential of villages through access to training and improvement opportunities.
- Pochampally village (Telangana) has been selected as one of the BTV by United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO).
- Pochampally is often referred to as the Silk City of India for its exquisite sarees woven through the ikat style.
- Pochampally Ikat was given the Geographical Indication tag in the year 2004.
- Acharya Vinobabhave started the Bhoodan movement in the year 1951 from Pochampally itself.
Source – The Hindu