Banni Grasslands Reserve
Recently, Gujarat Forest Department will restore 10,000 hectares of Banni Grasslands in the coming year. The Department will continue this effort in every year of the coming decade.
- Banni Grasslands Reserve are located in the Kutch district of Gujarat. It is one of the largest and finest grasslands in Asia.
- These grasslands consist of two ecosystems, first grasslands and second wetlands. These include 192 species of plants, 262 species of birds and many species of mammals, reptiles and amphibians.
- An invasive weed species is found in these grasslands. It is locally called as Gando Bawal (Crazy Weed).
- This invasive species and long periods of drought are believed to have wiped out about 40 percent of the species from these grasslands.
- Sensitive mud ecology is also found in Banni.
Source – The Hindu