Assam and Meghalaya dispute
Assam and Meghalaya have agreed on the recommendations of the committees for the resolution of the mutual border dispute.
- Discussions are going on between the Chief Ministers of both the states for the last one year regarding the resolution of the border dispute.
- As per the recommendations of the committee, six out of the 12 disputed areas will be resolved in the first phase. Recently, the regional committees submitted their reports on these six areas.
- Both the states will now submit a common report to the Center as both the states have given their full consent on the recommendations of the committees.
Assam Meghalaya border dispute
- Assam and Meghalaya share 885 km of border. Presently disputes are going on at 12 places on their borders.
- Meghalaya was carved out of Assam under the Assam Reorganization Act, 1971. Meghalaya had later challenged this law, leading to controversy.
Assam and border dispute
- Most of the northeastern states have been carved out of Assam. Due to this, Assam has border disputes with many states.
- Assam’s border disputes with Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland are pending in the Supreme Court. Assam’s border dispute with Meghalaya and Mizoram is currently at the stage of settlement through talks.
- The border dispute with Mizoram turned violent last year. Due to this the Center had to intervene.
Source – The Hindu