Special ASEAN-India Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
The two sides discussed ways to enhance ASEAN-India cooperation in the post-COVID period.
- These include increasing cooperation in the areas of smart agriculture, health care, new and renewable energy, digital inclusivity and fin-
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN/ASEAN-India Areas of Cooperation) ASEAN is India’s fourth largest trading partner.
- The share of ASEAN in India’s total trade is 6 percent. ASEAN is at the heart of India’s ‘Act East Policy’ and ‘Indo-Pacific Ocean Initiative (IPOI)’.
- India is a member of the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF). The ARF focuses on the political and cross-security dimensions for ASEAN.
Major Collaboration Projects:
Mekong-Ganga Cooperation, India-Myanmar-Thailand Trilateral Highway, Kaladan Multimodal Project etc.
Separate bilateral military exercises with India ASEAN members:
- Indo – Thai CORPAT with Indonesia and Thailand,
- Samudra-Shakti with Indonesia,
- Simbex with Singapore.
- China dominates economic investment. There has been delay on the part of India in completing the projects.
- ASEAN is an intergovernmental organization of 10 countries. Its purpose is primarily to promote economic development and regional stability among its members.
- ASEAN is located at the heart of the Indo-Pacific, through which 50% of global trade passes. Thus, the strategic importance of this region is immense.
- The year 2022 completes 30 years of ASEAN-India relations. It is being celebrated as ‘ASEAN-India Friendship Year’.
Source – The Hindu