ASEAN Defense Ministers Meeting-Plus (ADMM-Plus) concluded
Recently, the 8th ASEAN Defense Ministers Meeting-Plus was held. This year the ADMM-Plus meeting is chaired by Brunei. Apart from this, Brunei has also been the chairman of ‘ASEAN Group’ this year.
- In line with the guiding principles of this ASEAN Defense Ministers’ Meeting, the second meeting of the ‘ASEAN Defense Ministers’ Meeting’ (ADMM) held in Singapore in 2007, adopted the Concept Paper for the establishment of ADMM Plus.
- ADMM-Plus is an important forum for strengthening security and defense cooperation, along with peace, stability and development in ASEAN and its Dialogue Partner countries.
- ADMM Plus includes Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, Russia and the United States as negotiating countries. These are collectively referred to as the “plus countries”.
- ADMM Plus aims to promote mutual trust between the defense institutions of member countries through greater dialogue and transparency.
Areas of cooperation under this mechanism:
- Under this new mechanism, the following 5 areas of cooperation in the defense sector have been agreed which include maritime security, counter-terrorism, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, peacekeeping and military medicine.
- A new priority area in the areas of cooperation ‘Humanitarian Mine Action’ was agreed in the year
Source – The Hindu