Annual report ‘Road accidents in India – 2021‘
Recently the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has released the annual report ‘Road Accidents in India – 2021’.
It is based on road accident parameters like number of accidents, deaths, fatal accidents, number of injured etc.
Key findings of report-
- Compared to the year 2019, road accidents have decreased by 8.1 percent and the number of injured by 14.8 percent in the year 2021.
- However, there has been an increase of 1.9 percent in road accident deaths in the year 2021 as compared to the same period of the year 2019.
- The year 2020 saw an unprecedented decline in the number of road accidents, related deaths and injuries in the country.
- The highest numbers of road accident deaths were recorded in Uttar Pradesh (13.8 per cent of the total). After this comes the place of Tamil Nadu (10 percent).
Initiatives taken for road safety-
- Road Safety Programme: This program is funded by the World Bank. It has been launched for capacity building of the states.
- Integrated Road Accident Database (RAD) system has been developed for analysis of road accident data to enhance road safety.
- The National Road Safety Board has been constituted under the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2019.
- Scheme has been started to open District Driving Training Center.
- Awards are given for doing excellent work in the field of road safety.
- India is a signatory to the Brasilia Declaration (2015) on Road Safety.
Source – PIB