Recently, the Ministry of Science and Technology has announced the launch of “Gaganyaan” in the year 2023.
This is India’s first manned space mission. It was announced in the year 2018. It was to be launched in the year 2022, but due to the Covid-19 global pandemic, its launch got delayed.
The launch of Gaganyaan’s first un-crewed mission is scheduled for the second half of the year 2022. After this, the second crewless mission will take Vyommitra along. Vyommitra is a human robotic astronaut developed by ISRO.
Ultimately the Gaganyaan mission with the first crew is to be launched in the year 2023.
- It aims to demonstrate the capability to send humans into Low Earth Orbit (LEO) on an Indian launch vehicle and bring them back to Earth safely.
- It covers 300-400 km from the earth for 5-7 days. It will orbit the Earth in a low earth orbit at an altitude of
- The orbital module will have three Indian astronauts, including a woman.
- Crew Module – spacecraft carrying humans; Service Module – powered by two liquid propellant engines.
- It has the ability to make emergency exits and abort missions in an emergency.
- GSLV Mk 3, also known as LVM-3 (Launch Vehicle Mark-3), is a three-stage heavy lift launch vehicle. It will be used to launch Gaganyaan.
Source – The Hindu