Andhra Pradesh (AP) Assembly Moves to Repeal 3 Capital Law
Recently the Andhra Pradesh (AP) Legislative Assembly has passed a bill to repeal the Act based on the objective of establishing three capitals for the state.
The Andhra Pradesh Decentralization and Inclusive Development of All Regions Repeal Bill, 2021 repeals the 2020 Act which paved the way for the ‘three capitals plan’ for the state.
Now, the state will once again consult with all the stakeholders. Also, to address the concerns of all the regions of the state in favor of decentralization, they will introduce suitable legislation in future.
The farmers of Amravati region were protesting against the decision of three capitals for more than 700 days.
They feared that the government would undercut the value of their plots and not build all the infrastructure it had promised.
Arguments in favor of three capitals:
- Distributed development
- Financially efficient due to utilization of existing infrastructure of Kurnool and Visakhapatnam
- There is no need to acquire large agricultural land, which may affect food security
- Planned urbanization of medium sized cities with good economy
Arguments in opposition to three capitals:
- Coordination between different organs of the government may be hampered.
- There may be a lack of a well-developed infrastructure connecting the growth centres.
- Visakhapatnam region is prone to cyclones.
Source – The Hindu