The Farmers Right To Guaranteed Minimum Support Price Realization Of agricultural produce Bill 2021
Recently, the Right of Farmers to get Guaranteed Minimum Support Price for agricultural produce Bill 2021 has been presented.
This bill has been recently proposed by a private member (Member of Parliament, who is not a minister).
The following major provisions have been made in this-
- Providing 50% assured return to farmers on the overall cost of production of a crop.
- A provision of Rs 1 lakh crore corpus will be made to give compensation to the farmers who are forced to sell their produce at a price less than the MSP.
- A separate department will be created to ensure the legal guarantee of MSP and a provision of imprisonment has been made for non-compliance traders.
- Presently, MSP is available on 22 agricultural items and sugarcane (fair and remunerative price) as declared by the Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices (CACP).
About Private Members’ Bill –
- Bills introduced by private members are referred to as private member bills.
- Whether a private bill is to be accepted or not is decided by the Speaker of the Lok Sabha or the Chairman of the Rajya Sabha.
- The MPs, who want to present the Private Member Bill, will have to give at least one month’s notice. Only on Fridays it is presented and discussed. Only 3 Bills can be introduced per session by private members.
- According to PRS Legislative Research, no private member bill has been passed by Parliament since 1970. Additionally, Parliament has so far passed 14 such bills.
Source – The Hindu