Academic Bank Credit (ABC) platform available to higher education institutions
Recently the central government will bring all the recognized higher education institutions on the Academic Bank Credit (ABC) platform.
- Recently, the University Grants Commission (Establishment and Operation of Academic Bank of Credits in Higher Education) Regulations, 2021 have been notified. Under these Regulations any University or College may participate or register to be covered under the ABC Framework. For this, special attention will not be given to their ranking.
- This would include central and state universities, deemed universities and autonomous educational institutions.
- Earlier, only institutions of national importance or other institutions meeting the prescribed criteria were included in this framework.
Academic Bank Credit (ABC)
It is a part of the National Policy on Education (NEP), 2020. It allows higher education institutions to maintain a digital repository of the credits availed by the students. Under ABC, students can choose a course in one institution in one year, as well as take admission in another institution in the next year.
Advantages of ABC
- This will enable the students to maintain the continuity of their studies. You will be able to complete your degrees as per your choice. Students will get many options to take admission in higher education and exit from it. In this way they will be able to complete their degrees on their own time.
- Academic Bank of Credit Scheme will reduce the disparity among institutions through standardization of credit system. Also, promote equality in the degree-granting system.
Source – The Hindu