9th World Ayurveda Congress (WAC) celebrations held in Goa
- Recently the Prime Minister has addressed the closing ceremony of the 9th World Ayurveda Congress (WAC).
- Additionally, the Prime Minister inaugurated the All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) Goa, the National Institute of Unani Medicine (NIUM), Ghaziabad and the National Institute of Homeopathy (NIH), Delhi at the World Ayurveda Congress.
- The objective of these institutes is to strengthen research and international collaboration and provide affordable AYUSH services to the people.
- It may be noted that the WAC was organized in Goa under the theme of ‘Ayurveda for One Health’. The theme acknowledges the close relationship between human health and the health of all living things and the shared environment.
- Ayurveda, meaning the science of longevity, is the oldest traditional medical system in India. It promotes healing as well as healthy living.
- Ayurveda is considered the 5th Veda. We find its origin in the Atharvaveda. The Charaka Samhita by Charaka, the Sushruta Samhita by Sushruta and the Ashtanga Hridaya by Vagbhatta are known as the ‘Great Trilogy of Ayurvedic Medicine’.
- Currently, more than 30 countries have recognized Ayurveda as a traditional system of medicine.
- In India, around 40,000 MSMEs are operating in the AYUSH sector. The size of their industry is about Rs 1,50,000 crore.
Challenges before Ayurveda:
- It lacks documented procedures. Also, doubts remain on the authenticity of Ayurveda products.
- Concerns also exist regarding the efficacy and quality assurance protocols of Ayurveda products, and the lack of acceptance of Ayurveda in health insurance.
Initiatives taken to promote Ayurveda
- With the formation of the Ministry of AYUSH and its subsequent efforts, people’s enthusiasm and faith in Ayurveda has increased.
- The World Health Organization – Global Center for Traditional Medicine (GCTM) in Gujarat and the All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA) in New Delhi have been established;
- AYUSH Research Portal has been developed for evidence based research data
- The World Ayurveda Congress (WAC) is a global forum established by the World Ayurveda Foundation to promote the benefits of Ayurveda.
Source – PIB