108th Indian Science Congress
The Prime Minister has addressed the 108th Indian Science Congress on 03 January 2023 through video conferencing.
- The event is being hosted by the Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University (RTMNU) at its Amravati Road campus.
- The theme of the program this year is: “Science and Technology for Sustainable Development with Women Empowerment” (Science and Technology for Sustainable Development including Women Empowerment).
- Along with this conference, one session each of Women’s Science Congress, Farmer’s Science Congress, Children’s Science Congress, Tribal Samagam, Science and Society and Congress of Science Communicators are also being organized.
- It may be noted that the first session of the Indian Science Congress was held in 1914.
Key Points of the Prime Minister’s Speech
- In today’s 21st century India, we have two things in abundance. First – data and second – technology. Both of them have the power to take India’s science to new heights.
- Both have the power to take India’s science to new heights. The field of Data Analysis is progressing at a fast pace.
- India is fast becoming one of the top countries in the world in the field of science. By 2015, we were at number 81 in the Global Innovation Index out of 130 countries. But, in 2022, we have jumped to number 40.
- Today India is among the top-3 countries in the world in terms of PhDs. Today India is among the top-3 countries in the world in terms of startup ecosystem.
- Existing scientists should develop an organizational structure that attracts young talent and gives them an opportunity to grow. For example, talent hunts and hackathon events can be used to find scientifically minded children.
- Science in India should be the one to make India self-reliant. We also have to keep in mind that today 17-18 percent of the world’s human population lives in India.
- Such scientific works, which will fulfill the needs of India, will give momentum to 17-18 percent of the world’s humanity.
Source – The Hindu